Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shaker Maker Jamaican Metheglin.

This was my very first mead, put together on 19Apr2007. Not having any idea of what I was doing, I just threw all the ingredients into a cube and shook it like buggery before pitching the yeast and waiting several weeks.

Some people call them blue meads, others complain that they should be called melomels because of the fruit. I like the way this name sounds if you give it the right cadence. Whatever.

Comprising Capilano blended honey, some (the name escapes me) Rainforest honey, Dark Brown sugar, Belgian Candi Sugar, Cinnamon Stick, Vanilla Bean, Ginger Root and Blueberries, I fermented it with SafBrew T-58 and racked it to another cube once the fermentation subsided a little. Bottled it after some more weeks into a slab of Grolsch swingtops and tried to forget about it for a while.

After four months it was nice. After nine, it was held in high acclaim by the beer and wine aficionados that turn up to our yearly house party. I've got about half a slab left - I just hope I can wait out the next six months or so to see how it goes. Perhaps just one a month. In the name of science.

No comments: